TheVisualMD.com Research Blog - Download SimbiontFusion – Darktree procedural textures in Fusion
SimbiontFusion adds the magic of DarkTree 3D procedural texture generation to a Fusion interface. DarkTree (DT) tweaks are mapped to Fusion inputs and can also be dynamically controlled on a pixel-by-pixel basis by connecting images from the comp. We’ve also included a mapping input that performs a UVW lookup based on RGB data, allowing you to apply DT textures to 3D geometry in post.
Download Simbiont Fusion 1.0
When a DT file is loaded, the parameters of the flow exposed for user manipulation (aka ‘tweaks’) are added as Fusion inputs. Implemented tweaks include the MAPPING, SAMPLING, BOOL, FLOAT, BUMP, INT, PERCENT, COLOR, and STRING types. The screenshot above shows several tweaks including color, percent and integer parameters for the fxBubbles texture.
Image-based Dynamic Tweaks
For tighter control over the adjustable parameters, images from the Fusion comp can be wired into the tool as dynamic tweaks. Percent, bump and color tweaks can be controlled on a pixel-by-pixel basis using this method. This feature allows for creative integration with existing compositing projects, and animation effects that combine the strengths of the two packages. The following effect was created by dynamically tweaking DT parameters with a simple grayscale animation (see the bottom of this post to download this the example comp “Dueling DarkTrees”).
With the UVW lookup channel, DT textures can be directly applied to 3D geometry in Fusion. The image on the right shows this procedure, where a render was produced in 3D Studio Max and exported with UVW texture coordinates encoded as RGB. The middle row is a lighting pass that was merged with the DT lookup output to produce the textured bottom row.
The following .zip files contain Fusion comps, texture files and media that you can use to learn about SimbiontFusion.
Extra Usage Notes
… for Fusion users:
- You must hit “Load” to reload the map. It’s a bit like the FBX loader, in that it stays cached.
- Your inputs should probably be the size of your output. No scaling is done in the tool. If you use the mapping input, then that raster size is used.
- Metadata is not implemented yet.
- Frame format settings are not implemented yet. You must manually set the raster size.
- Supersampling is not implemented yet. If you need finer sampling, try working with a larger raster size and scaling it down afterward.
- Motion blur is not implemented yet.
- Image input and wireless links are a bit “odd” when you duplicate/instance the tool.
- Otherwise, just think of it as FN but way cooler.
… for Darktree users:
- Values are normalized for Fusion use. So a 0-100 tweak in Darktree will be 0-1 in Fusion.
We hope you enjoy the plugin… drop us a comment if you find it useful. Bug reports and feature requests are also welcome!